Things You Will Learn
Work through these project examples to learn why and how different system are designed. Designed for individual or classroom activity.
HW01/02 - Skid-Steer Hydrostatic Drive System
Learn about the different functions on a hydrostatic drive, skid-steer excavator. Operate the control then explore how the hydraulic systems and components work together to provide the necessary features and performance.
- Learn how to operate a skid-steer excavator
- Learn how the three different functions work
- Learn about the key performance and reliability issues
- Understand the hydrostatic drive system closed circuit schematic
- Understand some typical maintenance and diagnostic tasks
HW03 - Scissor Lift Design Project
Work through the various decision-making factors of hydraulic circuit design to develop a working scissor lift solution.
- Scissor lift design project tutorial
- Circuit 1 - Basic, gravity fall, scissor lift circuit
- Circuit 2 - Dubious flow control circuit
- Circuit 3 - Flow control while lowering
- Circuit 4 - Double cylinder lifting
- Circuit 5 - Load holding PO check valve
- Circuit 6 - Hose burst safety valve
- Circuit 7 - Shock relief valve
- Potential circuit design problems
HW04 - Industrial system design
Learn to operate a power unit and control valve. Understand the components and how to maintain them. We also review the calculations and decisions required to design an industrial hydraulic power unit. Topics covered include:
- Power unit parts and operation
- Power unit testing and maintenance
- Diagnostic exercises
- Reservoir size
- Pump inlet pressure calculations
- Pipeline pressure loss
HW05 - Hydraulic Motor Sizing Project
Work through the calculations and decisions required to select the appropriately sized hydraulic motor.