This simulation will help you understand counterbalance valve pilot cracking pressure calculations.
Counterbalance valve pilot cracking pressure calculator
How to work out the correct counterbalance valve pilot cracking pressure
1. Select the type of actuator you are using from the drop-down list.
2. Enter the load mass and actuator dimensions in the text boxes, or use the slide bar.
3. Enter the valve set pressure. This is likely to be about 30% of the load induced pressure but check the valve manufacturer recommendations.
4. Select your pilot ratio. 3:1 is probably a good place to start.
5. The cracking pressure is now shown in the calculation.
6. Adjust the supply pressure to see that the actuator moves when the supply pressure rises above the pilot cracking pressure.
Read more about counterbalance valves and how to use them in our hydraulic load control training module
Every attempt has been made to ensure these calculations are accurate. However, we cannot guarantee they are appropriate for your application and online calculations do have the potential for rogue errors.
Please inform us if you find any errors and do not really on these results without double checking figures using manual calculations.